Operaoke makes Paris sing
The 2016 football EURO will be the great popular rendezvous of the year in Paris. And what if Paris sang the most famous airs of the Opéra Comique repertoire?
Christophe Grapperon will conduct the chorists while the choir accentus will be on stage.
In partnership with the Mairie de Paris is the idea to invite Parisians to gather at the UEFA fan zone, a mythical place of revolutionary songs. Everybody will be able to participate – school groups, choirs, aficionados or beginners – accompanied by professional singers. Video tutorials accessible on a dedicated website will help everyone to train prior to the event.
Saturday 18 June 2016 at 12.30 on Champ-de-Mars
Playlist and scores
The operaoke’s playlist on YouTube
Train on your own or with your family at home.
You don't read music. Don't worry, you can read the lyrics below!
Discover the training video tutorials available through your computer. You'll be taught how to sing in tune by professionals.
These tutorials are made available with the support of:
- The AMOC and the France Télévision foundation
- France Télévision and MFP patronage of competence
Choirmaster, Christophe Grapperon
Pianist, Elsa Lambert
Vocalists of the accentus choir
You may choose to rehearse with the tutti tutorial playlist (with the four vocalists simultaneously) or according to pitch (soprano, alto, ténor or baryton-basse)
Amateur singers will show you that operaoke is meant for everybody. And there will be surprises!
The initiated can also download the scores to be sung along.
- Charles LECOCQ - La Fille de Madame Angot (Chanson politique)
- Etienne Nicolas MEHUL - Le Chant du départ
- François-Adrien BOIELDIEU - La Dame blanche (Ballade de Jenny)
- Georges BIZET - Carmen (Habanera)
- Georges BIZET - Carmen (Toreador)
- Georges BIZET - Carmen (La Garde Montante)
- Jacques OFFENBACH - La Vie parisienne (Cancan)
- Jacques OFFENBACH - Les Contes d'Hoffmann (Barcarolle)
- Reynaldo HAHN - Ciboulette (Air du muguet)
- Reynaldo HAHN - Ciboulette (Valse)
In partnership with
We thank them for their support:
The opéraoké in images
The 26-minutes Operaoke documentary by Jérôme Cassou is available online on Arte Concert. You became singers for a day at the EURO fan zone under Christophe Grapperon. With Yete Queiroz, Christian Helmer, the pianist Marine Thoreau La Salle and the vocalists of choir accentus.
Discover videos and photos of the Operaoke
You were over one thousand inside the fan zone last Saturday! One thousand to sing along at the conclusion of an adventure that lasted nearly a year with some fifty preparation and rehearsing sessions throughout Paris and beyond as some came from Moulins to share their passion for opera. One thousand in such an unusual place as a fan zone. And even more on social networks.
A selection of the event's tweets
If you too enjoy singing, come and share a festive afternoon for the Operaoke, a giant karaoke on the Champs-de-Mars on 18 June at 12.30 pm. Let's be as many as possible so as to form the largest choir in Paris for an afternoon!
THE OPERAOKE VIDEOS
And if we all were opera singers!
L'appel du 18 juin : suivez tous les jeudis l'aventure de Stéphane
LAST REHEARSAL BEFORE THE OPERAOKE
1st Rehearsal - 12 December
“All you need is to think you’ll be able to sing”
Rehearsals, workshops, training? Whatever they are. Three sessions were scheduled last weekend. Two on Saturday 12 December at the Maison des Pratiques Artistiques Amateurs at Rue Didot with novices. The third on the next day, at the temporary premises of the Opéra Comique located at Rue du Sentier, with choirmasters from the Paris region. Christophe Grapperon directed the singers at all three.
The goal was to prepare the operatic rendez-vous scheduled next June inside the UEFA fan zone on the Champ-de-Mars esplanade in Paris for the 2016 UEFA European Championship, an event called Operaoke. The project is to invite a maximum of people to sing in the form of a huge karaoke by taking advantage of the screens on which the matches from all over France will be broadcast from June 10 to July 14. Except that on Saturday 18 June at 12.30 p.m. you won’t see 22 players running after a ball as expected but Christophe Grapperon as choirmaster, the lyrics to the selected arias from the repertoire displayed as subtitles, and thousands of amateur singers supervised by professionals who will conduct the throng of families and supporters from around the world and willing to demonstrate that the hits of the Opéra Comique can unite people beyond what is anticipated. “It will be mostly necessary to avoid trying to do a show,” the choirmaster said repeatedly, “We are not in a production but in a feast. This Operaoke must be a display of sharing, of good humor, people will come to have a good time. Everybody is invited and everyone will participate with one’s voice in singing hits.”
The three sessions also allowed us to clarify the level of ambition and exactness of the project. An army of singers is advancing, the 150 who were there last weekend forming the vanguard. “All you need is to think you’ll be able to sing,” hammered Christophe Grapperon. “Spread the word, there will be something for everyone.”
Further sessions are due on 12 and 13 March and on 21 and 22 May 2016.
The first three sessions showed that far from the definitions of terms, the distinction of level between outstanding quasi-professional singers and amateurs, between vocalists and choirmasters, there was first the pleasure of being together, of singing and just going with “inescapably joyful tunes”. To put it simply, we had a lot of fun.
Rendezvous on 18 June!
Come sing with us on Saturday 18 June, 12.30pm on the Champ-de-Mars !
Euro 2016's Fanzone - Rendez-vous at 12.30pm
Adress Place Joffre 75007 Paris, entrance n°1 or 2
Métros Ecole Militaire (ligne 8), La Motte Picquet-Grenelle (lignes 6, 8, 10)
Items forbidden in the fanzone: food, liquids, umbrellas, toy guns, replicas and imitation firearms...
All professional or amateur academies, associations and ensembles are invited to participate. As from 2 November 2015 the Opéra Comique Website will offer scores for training, followed by video tutorials to be circulated among participants. You’ll be invited to gather for rehearsing sessions conducted by choirmaster Christophe Grapperon.
Everybody can participate. It cannot be done without you. Come and sing with us!
A single address for booking or any question: email@example.com
Rehearsals rendezvous are finished. You can rehearse from your computer :
- Train on your own or with your family at home : The playlist / The Lyrics
- You don't read music. Don't worry, you can read the lyrics!
- Discover the training video tutorials available through your computer. You'll be taught how to sing in tune by professionals. You may choose to rehearse with the tutti tutorial playlist (with the four vocalists simultaneously) or according to pitch (soprano, alto, ténor or baritone-bass)
- The initiated can also download the scores to be sung along.
Amateur singers will show you that operaoke is meant for everybody.
Chanteurs Yete Queiroz et Christian Helmer
Pianiste Marine Thoreau La Salle
Chef de chœur Christophe Grapperon
Soprano Emilie Bregeon, Pauline Feracci, Laurence Favier Durand, Catherine Padaut, Edwige Parat, Sylvaine Davene, Zulma Ramirez, Caroline Chassany
Mezzo Violaine Lucas, Geneviève Cirasse, Saskia Salembier, Florence Barreau, Emilie Nicot, Florence Recanzone, Hélène Moulin, Emmanuelle Biscara
Ténor Stephen Collardelle, Mathieu Montagne, Maurizio Rossano, Matthieu Chapuis, Lisandro Nesis, Maciej Kotlarski, Jean-Christophe Hurtaud, Nicolas Maire
Basse Pierre Corbel, Gégoire Fohet-Duminil, Pierre Jeannot, Guillaume Pérault, Cyrille Gautreau, Rigoberto Marin-Polop, Olivier Déjean, Jean-Baptiste Alcouffe
erda | accentus bénéficie du soutien de la Direction régionale des affaires culturelles d’Ile-de-France, Ministère de la culture et de la communication ; est subventionné par la Ville de Paris, la Région Ile-de-France ; et reçoit également le soutien de la SACEM. accentus est en résidence à l’Opéra de Rouen Haute-Normandie. Les activités de diffusion et d'actions culturelles d'accentus dans le département bénéficient du soutien du Conseil Général des Hauts-de-Seine. Le cercle des mécènes d'accentus accompagne son développement.
- Saturday 5th (10.30 am to 12.30 pm) and Sunday 13th (10.30 am to 2.30 pm): sessions for professional and amateur choirmasters at 21 Rue du Sentier 75002 Paris.
- Saturday 12th (2 pm to 5 pm): session for everybody at Maison des Pratiques Artistiques Amateurs at 100 Rue Didot 75014 Paris [please bring your sets of scores].
- Thursday 4th (6.45 pm to 8 pm): you’re invited to our temporary premises at 21 Rue du Sentier 75002 Paris for a convivial drink with the singers-ambassadors > Register
- Saturday 12th (10.30 am to 12.30 pm / 1 pm to 5 pm / 5.30 pm to 8.30 pm) > Register
- Sunday 13th (10 am to 1 pm) > Register
- Saturday 7th (10.30 am to 6 pm) > Ateliers Berthier, 1 Rue André Suares, 75017 Paris - Free entrance - Read more
- Saturday 21st (2 pm to 5 pm) > Théâtre de La Colline, 15 Rue Malte Brun, 75020 Paris - Free entrance upon reservation - Register
- Sunday 22nd (10 am to 1 pm) > Arènes de Lutèce, 49 Rue Monge, 75005 Paris - Free entrance upon reservation - Register
On 18 June 2016, participate in the Operaoke on the Champ-de-Mars > Register
You’re invited to send us your contact details in order to be informed. A single address for booking or any question: firstname.lastname@example.org
In partnership with
We thank them for their support: